Choosing A Real Estate Agent And Questions To Ask
“Agents might look the same if you squint but when put under the microscope the differences are significant.” John McGrath
When selecting an agent, we believe the difference between employing a good agent versus a great agent is about 5%-10% on the sale price.
But how do you identify a great agent for you and your property?
With over 30 years of experience selling properties, many for record prices, and with a reputation of consistently outperforming our competitors on overall vendor experience, we have identified a number of consistent traits all high performing agents possess.
Here is a list of qualities and questions to help you identify the best agent to sell your property:
Do they have strong local market knowledge?
Local agents understand the unique property cycle of the local market and are best equipped to appraise your property.
- Can they provide a local market report and discuss with insight the local market, what’s sold, for how much, market trends and opportunities?
- How much do you think my property is worth?
- How long do you think it will take to sell my property?
- What method of sale would you use to sell my property?
Have you seen how they perform at an open for inspection?
Seeing an agent at an open for inspection and interacting with buyers is an excellent way to assess their ‘on the job’ skills, and after all this is a critical element of a successful sale so it is worth going to a few open homes to see the agents in action.
- Do they display integrity and transparency?
- How knowledgeable are they on the property?
- How well were they presented?
- How efficient was their follow up after the open home?
Do you feel comfortable with the agent?
Selling a property can be a stressful and challenging process, however having an agent who you feel comfortable working with is important to help make the process as stress free as possible.
- Are they friendly, approachable and transparent?
- Are they attentive and listen to your needs?
Are they strong communicators and do they listen?
Communication is key for an agent.
- When you are talking to them do they listen to you and answer your questions with knowledge and insight?
- Have you seen examples of their marketing material, how strong is there marketing?
- What advertising and marketing do you recommend?
Have you reviewed their sales result / assessed what they have sold in the area?
- Have the sold similar properties in your area?
- How have they performed?
- Do they have a strong buyer database for property’s like yours?
Can they provide you with strong references from their most recent clients?
All high performing agents will happily provide you with either written testimonials or the phone numbers of their most recent clients (assuming there aren’t confidentiality clauses in place).
A good way to assess their performance is to call their most recent clients and ask them what the experience was like, were they happy with the agent and did they achieve a good result.
This information is provided subject to our Terms and Conditions.